Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Book Review - A Birder’s Guide to Murder




A Birder’s Guide to Murder
By:  J. R. Ripley
Kensington Books
Publication Date:  November 13, 2018
2 Stars

Amy Simms is the owner of Birds & Bees that is located in Ruby Lake, North Carolina.  An unexpected opportunity arises for Amy to attend the American Birding Expo as a vendor.  Amy thinks the publicity will drum up some business and extra cash flow.  She takes along her “assistant manager”, Esther, and three other members of her close knit group:  Karl, Floyd, and Derek.  They all set out for Philadelphia, the location of the bird expo.  Shortly after arriving at the expo, JJ Fueller, the guest speaker, is found dead.  Esther was seen in the vicinity near the time of his death and becomes the prime suspect.

This is the 8th book in the Bird Lover’s Mystery series, but the first one I’ve read.  I sense that really put me at a disadvantage because I feel like I didn’t know the gang or understand their group dynamics or individual personalities.  Without knowing them better, some of their actions seemed unreasonable. After JJ Fueller is killed, is when the plot goes awry for me.  Somehow we go from a murder at a birding expo to a spy themed plot.  It just didn’t work for me.  If you are a fan of the series, however, I suggest you read the reviews of those who’ve read through the series themselves.  You might get a better idea if this book is your cup of tea.

Thanks to Net Galley and Kensington Book for an ARC of this book.  #NetGalley #ABirdersGuideToMurder

No comments:

Post a Comment